Improve your FPS in Arma 3 Guide (No Guarantee)

Hi

So with a few simple steps you may be able to improve your FPS in Arma 3, i have done this for a few people during my Arma time and for most it has made an increase of FPS and Smoothness in Arma, There are probably 100 more things you can do that i wont list in this guide. :)

Step 1: Download and Run https://www.malwarebytes.com/adwcleaner/

Step 2: Download and Run http://www.coderbag.com/assets/downloads/cpm/currentversion/QuickCpuSetup.zip to unpark your cpu cores.

Step 3: Download and Run https://winaero.com/request.php?1796 Then Disable Cortana and Other Windows Features you do not need.

Step 4: Go into your Windows Control Panel and go to Power Options and set it to High Performance.

Step 5: Right Click on This Pc or what ever it is called in your installation language then go to Advanced System Settings then go to Advanced in the new Tab and Choose Best Performance Screenshot of how it should look is at this link: https://prnt.sc/j6x73t 

Step 6: Removed unnecessary programs from starting with Windows, this can be accomplished by Pressing CTRL + ALT + DEL and go into Task Managed and Then Startup and Then Select what programs you do not need to Start with Windows, This can be edited very easy later on as well.

Step 7: When you launch Arma 3 from either A3 Launcher or Arma 3 Launcher always remember to CLOSE them once your game starts to load, i have noticed a little difference with it running and not.

This is just a Simple Guide that may give you more FPS in Arma 3 but i cannot guarantee anything, there is some more steps that can be done in Graphics Settings as well, Turning everything to Low in Arma 3 will decrease the Performance and not Increase it, Most PC's are more happy with everything set to Standard og High, but this you have to test yourself (Depends alot on your Hardware Configuration)

Also if you have to possability to install Arma 3 on a SSD drive this very often increases FPS the most by as much as 15-30 FPS on Average .

Please Try and keep this Thread Clean i will delete and remove irrelevant comments and posts.

I am Available on Teamspeak very often if you need any help with this, so come on and have a CHAT!!! :2_grimacing:

• Like 5
  • Angry 2
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1
  • Love it! 1

a little extra info on why setting everything to low will result in a decrease in fps instead of an increase, because this might sound weird to some people,

This game is very demanding of your CPU, most of the stuff get handled by it,

when a setting is set to low, the game makes the CPU perform those tasks, meaning it will ask even more from your CPU, while your GPU is just idling, not doing much of the work,

once those settings are set at or above the high preset, the game will ask the GPU to do them instead, meaning your CPU will perform all its normal tasks, and your GPU actually helping out, and doing stuff.

For the average pc, its better to split up that workload between your GPU and CPU, therefor some settings when set to high will actually result in a higher fps.

• Like 1

Step 1: Purchase a newer Intel CPU

Step 2: Purchase a good CPU cooler

Step 3: Overclock

Enjoy your semi-smooth gameplay. 

The sad truth is Arma is very dependant on single core performance. If you have an older Intel or AMD processor you won't have as many frames as possible. 

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I'm not sure what's going on with my setup, I've got the following specs and I'm getting 30-40 FPS on a good day

- i7 4790k

- 32GB DDR3 Corsair

- GTX 980 OC

- Arma 3 Installed on SSD Raid 0

- Win 7 Ultimate x64

Any tips?

Edited by Freeroamer
On 10/22/2018 at 4:05 PM, Freeroamer said:

I'm not sure what's going on with my setup, I've got the following specs and I'm getting 30-40 FPS on a good day

- i7 4790k

- 32GB DDR3 Corsair

- GTX 980 OC

- Arma 3 Installed on SSD Raid 0

- Win 7 Ultimate x64

Any tips?

Unpark your CPU cores (if you haven't already; http://www.coderbag.com/programming-c/disable-cpu-core-parking-utility), you can use a CPU boost (by TechPowerUp, useful for about 5-10 extra frames).

Task Manager > Processes > arma3_64.exe > Right click and set priority to high.

What are your video settings/resolution? That could have an impact as well. 

• 4 years later...
  • 8 months later...

Improving your FPS (frames per second) in Arma 3 while hosting a server can significantly enhance your gaming experience, ensuring smoother gameplay and better responsiveness. Here’s a comprehensive guide to boost your FPS:

1. Optimize Server Settings: Adjust server parameters to balance performance and gameplay experience. Lowering view distance, object draw distance, and AI count can alleviate server load and improve FPS.

2. Hardware Optimization: Ensure your server hardware meets Arma 3’s recommended specifications. Upgrading CPU, RAM, and SSD storage can enhance server performance, reducing lag and increasing FPS.

3. Network Optimization: Stable and high-speed internet connectivity is crucial for hosting a smooth Arma 3 server. Opt for a reliable internet service provider and ensure minimal network congestion during gameplay.

4. Dedicated Server Hosting: Consider renting a dedicated server from a reputable hosting provider. Dedicated servers offer superior performance compared to hosting on a personal computer, resulting in better FPS and overall gaming experience.

5. Server Configuration: Fine-tune server configuration files to optimize performance. Adjust parameters such as AI skill levels, simulation settings, and network settings to reduce server strain and improve FPS.

6. Mod Management: Limit the number of mods running on your server, as each mod increases resource consumption. Choose lightweight mods that enhance gameplay without significantly impacting performance.

7. Regular Maintenance: Perform regular server maintenance to ensure optimal performance. Clean up unnecessary files, update server software, and monitor resource usage to identify and address performance bottlenecks.

8. Server Monitoring: Utilize server monitoring tools to track server performance metrics in real-time. Identify any issues affecting performance, such as CPU or RAM spikes, and take corrective actions promptly.

9. Community Feedback: Engage with your gaming community to gather feedback on server performance. Address any reported issues promptly and implement necessary optimizations based on player suggestions.

10. Continuous Improvement: Stay updated with Arma 3 updates and community-developed optimizations. Implement new performance tweaks and enhancements to keep your server running smoothly and maintain high FPS for all players.