Sign in to follow this  
Jimlad

View Distance / Mountain Glitch

I know this has been covered before, i am not trying to be a dick @Conzole but on Isla Abramia when people flick to low settings they can see you through mountains, it is a real issue and a glitch.  I was marked by another team behind a mountain and then killed from behind (confirmed by the enemy team) Other groups have voiced this concern, it is something that needs looking at on this map,  I get you guys like the grass off option, but can the setting be tweaked so it does not make the terrain see through ? 

This map has no extended base mods, 1 base per family so FPS really should not be an issue.  Also this game is super old now, if people don't have a pc that can play it they need to look that... or maybe we can crowd fund them :)

Anyway my request is this option is looked at again on this map which is filled with mountains. I mainly play in Ultra but that does not help if someone is viewing you in low.

• Like 8

I find i have to keep switching between low and high so I'm not at a disadvantage to others, was at a cap point mission and a whole mountain wasn't there on low settings, could see the cap point perfect, then when switch to high it was totally covered by mountain.  I think its a bit game breaking to be honest and needs looking at

• Like 2

In my opinion it is rather game breaking on Isla Abramia. I know it works both ways if 2 enemies have the settings on low they can both see each other on opposite mountains hiding behind the peak, but that shouldn't be a thing. In some cases you have to be VERY close for the real mountain shape to form. If you play on increased settings then an enemy will spot you, while you will not spot them. I also find myself having to constantly switch settings between low and ultra to figure out if an enemy I spot is on my side of the hill/mountain or 200m down the opposite end. 

The map is fricking beautiful, the terrain is a good mix of snow/greenery with some desert-y terrain as well. But half invisible mountains for me kind of ruins the gameplay. 

It makes sense to have the option present on cherno, there are not huge open mountains covering a large area of the map there. Never really had the problem occur during my many hours of game time on cherno. But Isla needs something done about it. For such a great server it would be a shame for something so easily fixable to be the cause of what I think is a rather big problem. 

• Like 1

I know that the admins won't disable that low settings feature (for what reason idk) but is there a way to make both sides happy? Can we force high terrain but still give players the option to disable the grass somehow?

I just think maps like abramia or takistan should not be able to be played on low terrain settings.

Force ultra!

I had a friend over once that was pissing his pants when I told him this is normal in Arma multiplayer.

•      =player

^

/     \   =mountaintop on my screen.

In his defense:this was right after he saw the autorun hover board animation.

Edited by ACAB
  • Like 3

Forced graphics settings alienates those with bad computers. I think it's just something people need to deal with (the mountains disappearing that is). If you've played on a3 panthera it was an issue there too, and we all just learned to live with it.

3 minutes ago, Paperkat said:

Forced graphics settings alienates those with bad computers. I think it's just something people need to deal with (the mountains disappearing that is). If you've played on a3 panthera it was an issue there too, and we all just learned to live with it.

Yes and no one wants to alienate anyone. But I would guess 90+ % have a pc that can play a game that is 5 years old now. 

Other options can be disabled / enabled like view distance to give those people with a lesser pc the FPS they need. 

It's better for have lower view distance than to be able to look at people through mountains. 

It happens in Cherno just the same as it happens here, but you've dealt with it there without complaint (so far). Why change it? Forcing people off low settings won't fix it as it still occurs of medium (albeit not as much.)

2 minutes ago, Paperkat said:

It happens in Cherno just the same as it happens here, but you've dealt with it there without complaint (so far). Why change it? Forcing people off low settings won't fix it as it still occurs of medium (albeit not as much.)

No it 100% does not happen on Cherno the same as it happens on Isla, yes it happens, but it is NOWHERE near the same degree as it is on Isla, you can't argue with that. Why was it dealt with without complaint until now you ask? Because as has already been stated, it wasn't a problem on Cherno like it is on Isla.

As for forcing it off low (if that was the course of action taken) that is still better than the current situation on Isla. 

Go anywhere near the edge of the map on the north and you'll see it does the same exact thing as on Isla. I know getting rid of Low settings would help, but as I said, it would alienate those with shitty PC's (Hi Bwana!) and would not make the miracle fix I think you guys are looking for. I think if more people/groups asked for it, might be worth more consideration.

Just now, Paperkat said:

Go anywhere near the edge of the map on the north and you'll see it does the same exact thing as on Isla. I know getting rid of Low settings would help, but as I said, it would alienate those with shitty PC's (Hi Bwana!) and would not make the miracle fix I think you guys are looking for. I think if more people/groups asked for it, might be worth more consideration.

@Mr. Soap and @ACAB seem to agree in some way shape or form unless I have misread. Whether or not other members in their groups feel the same I don't know.

This isn't just one group talking about anything. Curious how many more groups would need to come forward and voice their opinion before anything is actually taken seriously about this topic?

I dont think its right to run the server just thinking of the few with old computers, they always have the option of lowering there view distance if needs be

• Like 1

I seem to remember BEEF complaining about the no grass thing when they first started playing on SG cherno (just look on the forums) so you can't really say it's a "new thing". They got told things would not change and left it at that. Im guessing they are bringing it up again for Isla because the problem is impacting game play way more on this map compared to Cherno which is a valid argument, no doubt about it.

I don't know about anyone in WarBoner who thinks the low settings are preferred, but I know of several who thinks ultra should be forced so unless anyone steps up and tells me otherwise I will say that we are supporting this suggestion from beef.

IMG_0297.JPG

IMG_0298.JPG

Edit: Apparently I get better FPS on ultra. :D Don't really see how forcing ultra will alienate anyone. It won't impact performance notably.

Edited by Mr. Soap
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, Paperkat said:

i hope admin can find a way to meet both needs.  but seeing people through the mountains which most of the terrain is a bit shitty 

1 minute ago, Paperkat said:

You know they've said like 10 times they won't be changing it, right?

When more and more members of a community come together to address an issue and they are shot down without proper discussion from the ones who hold the power, that's not a very diplomatic way of handling things. This needs discussed properly, with valid reasons given as to WHY this will never be considered apart from "what about the 1% with bad pcs" or "will kill performance".

1 hour ago, ImUnleasheD said:

Can we force high terrain but still give players the option to disable the grass somehow?

This is what Ill be working on :) 

• Like 3
  • Love it! 1

Okay, so I've unlocked this topic.

The issue is that I don't think it's possible to have no invisible mountain tops and have grass options because the terrain grid has to be set to ultra to stop the mountain issue but then you can't change the grass.

I can change the grass density with ultra terrain but then people that like the grass will be upset.

Default Ultra terrain and grass: https://i.gyazo.com/21c8a7a52288e4a07be362e5ce586a29.jpg

Default Ultra terrain, modified grass: https://i.gyazo.com/5eec7de5ad1f5e0328236d28420def06.jpg

Note:

There is an FPS impact with ultra terrain, even with the modified grass. I had around 10 FPS difference with i5 4690k and GTX 970 on an empty server.

I don't believe any other servers force Ultra terrain grid, as in my opinion that would be pretty silly but some servers do force grass, I understand that.

But that's not our issue here. The issue is the crappy mountains. Let me know your opinions.

i play on ultra terrain with i5 6600 and gtx 960 and have over 50 fps, with low terrain the fps is the same, but when i go to missions, i switch to low terrain just for seeing ppl thru mountains, so in my opinion it would be great if you force ultra terrain for all, and all ppl who cry about fps, they are bullshiting, they need low terrain just for using this bug with mountains

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jimlad said:

Yes and no one wants to alienate anyone. But I would guess 90+ % have a pc that can play a game that is 5 years old now. 

Other options can be disabled / enabled like view distance to give those people with a lesser pc the FPS they need. 

It's better for have lower view distance than to be able to look at people through mountains. 

my pc is about to turn 6 years old but. i get more frames with terrain on ultra than on low.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Paperkat said:

forced graphic settings doesn't alienate anyone you get better fps with terrain on ultra than on low.

Looks good on Ultra Terrain with modified grass to me at least. While ultra will not 100% negate the invisible mountains it does help very much to minimalize it.

Personally I love grass, makes the map look so much better, however I would be 100% happy for little/no grass if it means the mountains are less of an issue. 

45 minutes ago, Tor Augustsson said:

forced graphic settings doesn't alienate anyone you get better fps with terrain on ultra than on low.

????????

IMG_3021.PNG