Reserved Slots a bad Idea

Hey, 

While I appreciate servers have to be paid for somehow, I know from personal experience with regard to exile servers (I have played on quite a few and yes I usualy pay/donate) that having reserved slots kills servers super fast. Time and time again I have had team mates not be able to connect or have them kicked to make way for a reserved slot player. this has always resulted in our group finding a different server to play on. We always would monitor these servers cause we have this great habbit of picking very good servers to play on and we always want to know what the likelyhood of us getting onto the server is. Almost every time, the server is dead within a month.

People do not like being booted if a reserved slot player joins, people dont like playing if not all of their group can join the server and this leads to people going elsewhere. 

It is hard I know to find funding for servers but believe me I donate and I will willing donate to a well run server, I will not however pay for reserved slots. IMO moderate the server well, have active admins, dont abuse admin powers and run a great server. Trust me people will donate.

Thanks for listening

Hempknight

We do not kick players off the server if a reserved slot player joins, the player count will just go up to 51 or 52 until someone leaves the server. 

I dont think that we would be able to sustain the amount of donations needed to maintain the server and grow the community if we did not have reserved slots.

• Like 1
  • Sean unlocked this topic

Currently we have 50 slots on the server that are not reserved and the other 3 are reserved for admins we are and will be offering people a premium membership package that does include reserved slots. Now we have seen in our past experience being in a staff team on a server that was always full that reserved slots are good both as income to help fund the server and the people liked it as we never kick any player that is playing on the server so a player that has donated for a reserved slot can join.

I hope you understand our decision on this matter.

Community Founder,

Conzole

• Like 1

I keep getting the message "kicked by admin for reserved slot" when trying to join right now, have been on the server since around midday and logged for 20 mins to get some food, while i appreciate that it is probably the generic message sent when trying to join the server as its full, it does look like you are actually getting kicked for reserved slots.

Sorry, battleeye message, not server message

Edited by STGRTF

Hey guys thanks for the respones :)

This was more a concern from observations of servers I have played and also from 3 of the servers I have moderated. 2 of those servers had premium slots and didnt last very long. The other one UK111 lasted close to 3 years and without premium slots. I and my group and a lot of guys I know woudl much rather donate for some good perks, hell even just vehicle tracker :P would be something we would pay for. Preferred slots not so much. 

Its aa hard call and one I understand why you made. I just worry a little as so fgar this server seems to be run well and is performing really good. It would be a shame to see it disappear.

6 minutes ago, Hempknight said:

Hey guys thanks for the respones :)

This was more a concern from observations of servers I have played and also from 3 of the servers I have moderated. 2 of those servers had premium slots and didnt last very long. The other one UK111 lasted close to 3 years and without premium slots. I and my group and a lot of guys I know woudl much rather donate for some good perks, hell even just vehicle tracker :P would be something we would pay for. Preferred slots not so much. 

Its aa hard call and one I understand why you made. I just worry a little as so fgar this server seems to be run well and is performing really good. It would be a shame to see it disappear.

Well see now donate for some in game perks is not acceptable here as it violates bohemias monetization rules and could get the server in troubles. We are not a pay to win community.

2 hours ago, Conzole said:

Well see now donate for some in game perks is not acceptable here as it violates bohemias monetization rules and could get the server in troubles. We are not a pay to win community.

Yeah but things like access to player portal, vehicle tracker etc. They dont fall under the category of ingame advantages that BI tend to clamp down on. Well as far as I remember anyways. ATM i pay for 2 subscriptions to other servers that have this feature for donaters and tbh its an amazing little thing. 

I would personally much more like to pay for access to a Player Portal (where you can manage in-game stuff from right here on the website), Vehicle Trackers, Paint Jobs, that kind of stuff, over reserved slots which for Exile doesn't quite work imho.

22 minutes ago, AGR0- said:

I would personally much more like to pay for access to a Player Portal (where you can manage in-game stuff from right here on the website), Vehicle Trackers, Paint Jobs, that kind of stuff, over reserved slots which for Exile doesn't quite work imho.

Ahh you were talking about that kind of stuff i thought you were meaning trackers and vehicles in game, But we will not be removing the reserved slots but we were talking about some kind of a player portal on the website before the server came up so we will most likely be implementing that into the donation rewards as soon as its ready.

• 1 month later...

I disagree. Having slots is a GOOD thing. Those who want to contribute are guaranteed a spot - and I really wish SG would get on it sooner rather than later, especially because I don't have 5 hours to try to get back in. 

i think the current way fine i mean there 50 slots and if you want that fix so all your group can get on Houston then donate loads so they can up player pop  i mean there a lot of vikings more than comes on and we wait and sit back till a slot open and to be honest it first comes first served nothing more really has to be said specially since a 50 server is expensive to maintain and having reserved slots allows a two way street players a certain spot and the server stays up for everyone else.

3 hours ago, Mrtickels said:

i think the current way fine i mean there 50 slots and if you want that fix so all your group can get on Houston then donate loads so they can up player pop  i mean there a lot of vikings more than comes on and we wait and sit back till a slot open and to be honest it first comes first served nothing more really has to be said specially since a 50 server is expensive to maintain and having reserved slots allows a two way street players a certain spot and the server stays up for everyone else.

Yeah i mean as soon as we do this update that you can read about in THIS POST we can start selling reserved slots and the server will be a 60 slots server. Only reason why we cant sell the reserved slots right now is because we got demoitized because we used CUP Units,CUP Vehicles and CUP Weapons. But we will start offering them as soon as the relaunch of the new server happens  Sean has focused on coding the server with performace increase in mind. 

• 1 year later...
On 9/16/2017 at 7:00 PM, Hempknight said:

Hey, 

While I appreciate servers have to be paid for somehow, I know from personal experience with regard to exile servers (I have played on quite a few and yes I usualy pay/donate) that having reserved slots kills servers super fast. Time and time again I have had team mates not be able to connect or have them kicked to make way for a reserved slot player. this has always resulted in our group finding a different server to play on. We always would monitor these servers cause we have this great habbit of picking very good  Nox Vidmate VLC servers to play on and we always want to know what the likelyhood of us getting onto the server is. Almost every time, the server is dead within a month.

People do not like being booted if a reserved slot player joins, people dont like playing if not all of their group can join the server and this leads to people going elsewhere. 

It is hard I know to find funding for servers but believe me I donate and I will willing donate to a well run server, I will not however pay for reserved slots. IMO moderate the server well, have active admins, dont abuse admin powers and run a great server. Trust me people will donate.

Thanks for listening

Hempknight

that kind of stuff, over reserved slots which for Exile doesn't quite work imho.

Edited by zafirkalvin