Terrain Setting to Low in or out ?

Enable or disable the low grass option?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Enable or disable the low grass option?

• I want to keep the option to have low grass.
    • I want to remove the option to have low grass.

This poll is closed to new votes

Hello guys im just going to make this post due to demand i want to see what the
Whole community thinks before we decide on anything.
Choose your option above!

Apparently we can't put up a simple vote...

Thanks
Conzole
Communty Founder

• Sean featured this topic
32 minutes ago, Fisherman said:

True, but it is with close pvp that the grass make the difference

No, no it doesn't. Because no matter what, the person watching you at a distance has the advantage...It's best to be able to have the options on turning the grass off. And you act like the grass is 6ft tall....

Edited by Von Braun
58 minutes ago, Von Braun said:

No, no it doesn't. Because no matter what, the person watching you at a distance has the advantage...It's best to be able to have the options on turning the grass off. And you act like the grass is 6ft tall....

That's why is when you are in close combat make the difference. The guy at distance will see you with no grass but also you will see him without grass :))

Like @Shiv_P said, arma sinks you into the ground at larger distances, to emulate being obscured by grass,

and its alot more then just a visual effect thats an annoyance for the following reasons:

1. for close range, the grass can be a good emergency cover, say you're alone, and 3 people walk up to you, with nowhere to hide, you decide to just stay prone in the grass, since that grass is there for everyone, regardless of video settings, theres a chance they wont notice you and you can get away from there or better yet, find the right moment to strike and kill them.

2. for long range, a sniper is looking at you from far away, theres no cover, so your only 2 options are to run, serpentine, and hope he doesnt hit or.. find the tallest grass you can find and go prone, (assuming you dont have some stupid backpack sticking out), i personally had numerous situations where going prone in tall grass obscured me enough for an enemy sniper to completely lose sight of me, leaving him to fire blindly at the ground, doubting where he last saw me more and more with every shot he takes, eventually giving up or allowing my teammates to take him out..

disable grass does more then just block your sight.. it can also block you from your opponents sight.. and disabling it will make it impossible to hide from close range, and impossible to know if you're hidden from long range..

why punish the people that spent time and effort learning how to use this mechanic to their favor, when its a very clever mechanic that the arma engine does quite well at a minimum fps cost..

this game has much more potential then a simple shooter game.. why make it one?

• Like 2

Honestly we been here before and with current arma update issues and the point of not all have capable pc to manage arma since it is a high demanding game i say the best route is not to just consider what the main player base pc is and if it can manage it. (Otherwise you could end up killing players off since there no option to help there fps)

I have a patato for a PC and i am also struggling with de-sync and FPS after the recent Arma update,

but removing grass isnt the way to go.

More effective ways would be,

turning off simulation on the custom content,

reviewing the current cleanup scripts ,

Setting a lower max viewdistance,

Lowering Max players,

etc.

• Like 2

it is between 5-10 fps differnce for alot of players from Low to High terrain setting, lets say you go around with 35-40fps most of the time with Terrain on Low, then you are forced to have it at High, then you go around with 25-30fps, that is a pretty big game changer and it will probably ruin the gameplay of alot of the playerbase, i know some players ingame that dont have the best computers.

Sorry to say it seems like it is most of the new players from EXO that wants to change this server to their playstyle, but you guys have to consider the greater good of the community, we had a very good and stable playerbase for a very long time and i sit with the feeling if we enforce the terrain setting for people alot would actually leave simply because they cannot play anymore on the server.

• Like 3
11 hours ago, ACAB said:

I have a patato for a PC and i am also struggling with de-sync and FPS after the recent Arma update,

but removing grass isnt the way to go.

More effective ways would be,

turning off simulation on the custom content,

reviewing the current cleanup scripts ,

Setting a lower max viewdistance,

Lowering Max players,

etc.

1). Anything that doesn't need simulation is turned off already. I do think we have way too many objects and it is hitting performance a bit.

2). The current cleanup scripts help a lot but I do plan to add more, just have other things to do before.

3). Yes if we turn it down then we would see some difference in performance but I think it's currently the correct distance.

4). We did have 55 slots but then a hell of a lot of people wanted more (Probably cause they didn't have a reserved slot).

There is a lot that can be done to help performance but I can only do it when I have time and it's difficult to do some stuff I want to do without wiping...

• Like 1

I mean it not totally poitnless but at the end of the day its up to me,sean and kristian to decide what will be done about it this discussion is to help us ans see different opinions from you guys on this matter. 

I will be locking the thread now as most ppl have said their things ill update the post when we have decided.

• Like 1